Sandra Jones Centre
→ Prices start from $1440 or £1099 for 2 weeks
Volunteer with the Children In Need
Every child deserves to live a life free from fear and cruelty. Unfortunately, there are many children who are at risk every day. Our volunteers are on the ground, making a difference to hundreds of vulnerable children lives, providing opportunities that would not otherwise exist.
Play your part in this busy and vibrant home, as you become a role model, a big sister and so much more for these underprivileged children.
Encourage these children to flourish in so many different ways, laying the foundations for a brighter future.
Your Project, Your Purpose
We are committed to ensuring these children grow up in a safe and secure environment. Sandra Jones Centre is a home for sexually and physically abused children, in the city of Bulawayo.
The majority of the children are girls, who have been victims of sexual crimes.
The centre has a multifunctional approach to meeting the emotional, social and academic needs of the children.
From infant and child care to pre-school, primary and high school education; our volunteers are hands-on with the daily runnings of the centre, providing vital support to these lively children.
Your days will be full- on and challenging, but very rewarding. You will assist in the daily duties involved with caring for these children.
From looking after the youngest babies, with feeding, changing diapers and general care; to toddler duties, with stimulating activities, including songs and rhymes.
For our older children, you will be fully involved in helping with their homework, reading in the library and leading swimming lessons.
Become part of the team, as you assist our wonderful qualified primary school teachers, agricultural specialists, cooks, gardeners, and laundry staff, as well as 12 amazing caring mothers, who live with the children.
What are our goals?
- To provide a home of love, hope and care to abandoned children until they can secure a new home through adoption or they reach adulthood.
- To support these children in every possible way to help them thrive and prosper.
- To provide a refuge for girls-in-crisis or those pregnant as a result of rape and/or incest
- To provide these children and girls with a wide range of skills, to enable them to do well upon graduating from the home into a formal environment.
Other activities to get involved with:
- Cookery and sewing
As a volunteer, you will get to…
- Bring out your creative side, as you care for young babies and toddlers, with stimulating activities, including songs and rhymes. Volunteers are vital for this, as the duty staff are occupied with duties, such as changing nappies and feeding, so there is little time spent on this stimulation.
- Teach fundamental swimming skills and how to be comfortable with water, with the kids of all different ages.
- Assist our duty staff in baby care, changing nappies, feeding and general care
- Take part in the running of our vocational program, which combines small business start-up, book-keeping, budgeting and marketing together. As part of the training, the participants will learn key life skills, including responsibility, accountability, discipline, hygiene, and time and resource management, to help our girls to become self-sustainable and empowered.
- Help us with creating playground projects, including painting and designing new and exciting games.
- Assist and help the kids with their homework and reading in the library.
- Assist with extra activities, such as accompanying the children to horse riding lessons during the week.
You will have the opportunity to bring your own ideas and initiatives, working with our staff.
We welcome responsible, compassionate volunteers, who are committed to helping us in our mission. To ensure that these children will have a bright and fulfilled future, full of love and support.
Where you will be staying
You will be staying at the home, in sharing rooms, in a private area of the house, with access to private bathroom fatalities.
Due to volunteers living in the house with the girls, this project is open to female volunteers only, with a passion for making a difference. Meals are provided at the centre for the children, which you are more than welcome to eat as well. Ingredients and facilities will be provided for making our own meals.
The influence and you can have on these children is incredible and potentially life-changing. To encourage, motivate and ensure that they have the best possible quality of life. Not only will this have a lasting impact on the children, but also on you as a person.
Are you ready to embark on what promises to be an eye-opening and rewarding experience?
Our Start Dates for 2020 are:
- 6, 13 & 27 January
- 10 & 24 February
- 9 & 23 March
- 6 & 20 April
- 4 & 18 May
- 1, 15 & 29 June
- 6, 13, 20 & 27 July
- 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 August
- 7 & 21 September
- 5 & 19 October
- 2, 16 & 30 November
- 14 & 28 December
|Duration||Cost GBP||Cost USD|
|1 Week||£ 769||$ 1,008|
|2 Weeks||£ 1,099||$ 1,440|
|3 Weeks||£ 1,396||$ 1,829|
|4 Weeks||£ 1,691||$ 2,215|
|5 Weeks||£ 1,987||$ 2,603|
|6 Weeks||£ 2,282||$ 2,989|
|7 Weeks||£ 2,578||$ 3,377|
|8 Weeks||£ 2,873||$ 3,764|
|9 Weeks||£ 3,169||$ 4,151|
|10 Weeks||£ 3,465||$ 4,539|
|11 Weeks||£ 3,760||$ 4,926|
|12 Weeks||£ 4,056||$ 5,313|