Antelope Park, Zimbabwe
→ 2020 Prices start from $1099 or £839 for 2 weeks
African Equestrian Volunteering
They say horses are energetic, loyal, free-spirited and warm-hearted. That’s the kind of personalities we are looking for to join our team of horse experts in the management of a real African stable in the heart of Zimbabwe.
With this project, not only will you be interacting directly with over 30 horses of all types, but you will also take on riding lessons, show jumping, polocrosse and you will master the art of horseback riding, while enjoying the variety of wildlife in the park. It’s a unique opportunity for all animal lovers, but especially for those with a passion for equines.
Your Project, Your Purpose
Horse Volunteer Reviews
This is my 3rd time at Antelope Park and I am always pulled to come back. It’s such a special place with amazing horses you get to know so well and end up loving like your own. The opportunities are endless, from polocrosse to safaris. I’ve learnt so much about stable management and developed my riding skills in more ways than I could imagine. Cannot wait to come back!
Talking about horses is talking about freedom. With this project you’ll experience the freedom that comes with riding, caring for and learning from these animals that have been domesticated for over 5,000 years. While at the same time, gain the important knowledge that is needed to manage an African stable.
The requirements and needs of an establishment of this kind change from day to day and adaptability and flexibility are a must. From sports and recreational activities, such as horse-riding lessons, horse safaris, carriage safaris, polocrosse and show jumping… To help keep the stables clean and tidy, there is never a shortage of fun things to do here. And the best of all is that you can expect to spend an average of 2-3 hours daily on horseback.
Also, part of your internship program includes grooming and feeding the horses, assist with guest activities where horses are involved, take kids on pony rides, being part of vet care if necessary and so much more!
But don’t worry! You won’t be alone!
Volunteer with horses and make a difference
Antelope Park welcomes enthusiasts of all types and all levels, from beginners to advanced riders.
You do not need any previous riding experience to learn, enjoy and be part of this incredible internship.
Our stables manager, Peta-Ann Davies, will guide you and accompany you throughout your whole experience and no one is better than her to turn you into the horseback rider you’ve always wanted to be.
A Day as a horse volunteer
- Get to work with over 30 horses of different breeds. Get up close and personal and discover each of their unique personalities.
- Take the horses for a ride around the park, or let them take you, and enjoy the most spectacular natural views! You can even attempt to swim on horseback. They love it and you will love it too.
- While on horseback, participate in boundary patrol and snare sweep rides, which are necessary for park maintenance and ensuring the protection of our game. It is not just important, but also truly fun.
- Accompany guests on their horseback rides during their stay at Antelope Park and help them create unforgettable memories, while you create yours as well.
- Immerse fully in equestrian life by joining the sports of polocrosse and show jumping by taking advantage of our two world-class fields and our practice field. These are simply some of the best polocrosse fields in Africa, if not worldwide.
- Camp out under a starry sky when you join our popular Overnight Horseback Safari, at an additional cost. It’s an unforgettable experience.
- During the polocrosse season (April-September) you’ll have the chance to show your skills at Club Level Competitions and Events. But that’s not all! Every month in Bulawayo there’s a Show Jumping Competition that you can also join, at an extra cost. Show them what you got!
- At an additional cost, travel to Bulawayo on a day trip to help kids with disabilities spend the time of their lives when they connect with horses and ponies. This is as much fun as it is therapeutic. And there, receive riding lessons from Jill Burgess and Aileen Johnstone at their riding school while you experience another Zimbabwean stable. It’s a fantastic opportunity to learn and enjoy!
- Enjoy one of Africa’s most unique parks, featured in BBC’s Nature’s Miracle Orphans, ITV’s Lion Country and Animal Planet’s Roaring with Pride. What you saw on TV now you can see with your own eyes.
Our Start Dates for 2019 are:
- 7 & 21 October
- 4 & 18 November
- 2,16 & 30 December
Our Start Dates for 2020 are:
- 6, 13 & 27 January
- 10 & 24 February
- 9 & 23 March
- 6 & 20 April
- 4 & 18 May
- 1, 15 & 29 June
- 6, 13, 20 & 27 July
- 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 August
- 7 & 21 September
- 5 & 19 October
- 2, 16 & 30 November
- 14 & 28 December
|Duration||Cost GBP||Cost USD|
|2 Weeks||£ 1,134.00||$ 1,947.00|
|3 Weeks||£ 1,440.00||$ 2,471.00|
|4 Weeks||£ 1,745.00||$ 2,995.00|
|5 Weeks||£ 2,050.00||$ 3,519.00|
|6 Weeks||£ 2,355.00||$ 4,043.00|
|7 Weeks||£ 2,660.00||$ 4,567.00|
|8 Weeks||£ 2,965.00||$ 5,091.00|
|9 Weeks||£ 3,270.00||$ 5,615.00|
|10 Weeks||£ 3,575.00||$ 6,139.00|
|11 Weeks||£ 3,880.00||$ 6,663.00|
|12 Weeks||£ 4,185.00||$ 7,187.00|
|Duration||Cost GBP||Cost USD|
|1 Week||£ 839||$ 1,099|
|2 Weeks||£ 1,199||$ 1,571|
|3 Weeks||£ 1,523||$ 1,995|
|4 Weeks||£ 1,845||$ 2,417|
|5 Weeks||£ 2,168||$ 2,840|
|6 Weeks||£ 2,490||$ 3,262|
|7 Weeks||£ 2,812||$ 3,684|
|8 Weeks||£ 3,135||$ 4,107|
|9 Weeks||£ 3,457||$ 4,529|
|10 Weeks||£ 3,780||$ 4,952|
|11 Weeks||£ 4,102||$ 5,374|
|12 Weeks||£ 4,425||$ 5,797|