Teaching & Community Development
Antelope Park, Zimbabwe
Community & Teaching through Volunteering
Education and community development go hand in hand. There’s no way of improving the lives of local communities without providing current and essential education.
With this project, not only will you be playing a vital part in making a positive impact in the lives of unprivileged residents, but you will also be gaining invaluable experience by working in the local schools. This is a chance of a lifetime to “Go Mad” (Make A Difference) and help local communities deal with their most challenging problems.
Simply life changing! To see these kids, with so little but so happy, it has been the greatest experience of my life. The project was extremely well organised by the team on the ground and the project itself made me feel like I have made a difference. Thank you Antelope Park, I’m already planning my return!
Your Project, Your Purpose
In some underdeveloped countries, schools have a disproportionate number of pupils in relation to the number of teachers, therefore the need for help in the classrooms is essential to the children’s future and to this program’s success. That’s why you will be spending most of your days in the classrooms.
Here, your role is to help overwhelmed teachers, offering one-on-one attention to the children that need it the most. This dedicated support system is fundamental for these children to complete their school’s requirements.
But when the class is over, the fun begins! Because extra-curricular activities, like sports, book clubs and after-school programs encourage a child’s creativity and development. It is this way that children with positive role models learn to eventually make a difference in the world they live in.
But that’s not all!
You will also work with communities to educate them on meeting the challenges of living alongside wildlife, as living in close proximity with dangerous predators also creates a problem, where education is key.
Your assistance in this project is fundamental – conducting conservation education lessons, you will expand the pupils understanding of conservation and highlight the role they can play in it.
Helping teachers and students, one at a time!
A Day In Your Life
- Become much more than a teacher and more of a role model, when you help kids that are falling behind in their education, by providing one-on-one support that otherwise without your help, they would not get.
- Play an important role in giving conservation education classes in the first educational facility of its kind in Zimbabwe – our own Conservation Education Centre. Encourage children to grow up as conservationists.
- How awesome would be to know that you were part of a school’s construction? Join us for one of the most rewarding projects as you create the foundation for Julena School. Easy, it is not but we are not here because it’s easy. We are here because it’s important.
- Be part of the feeding program at Gweru Baptist Church, where you will be assisting in their Compassionate Ministry for people living and working on the street.
- Assist our qualified staff to support home-based care program aiming to support unprivileged residents to meet their basic needs including their emotional well-being. Here, get your hands dirty helping them with housekeeping duties.
- Immerse yourself into a new cultural environment and expand your knowledge on Zimbabwe while working alongside our local supportive team and professional staff at the schools.
→ Prices start from $1524 or £1030 for 2 weeks
Our start dates for 2019 are:
We generally ask for volunteers to arrive at this project every other Sunday or Monday, and you can volunteer from 2 weeks up to 12 weeks.
- 7, 14 & 28 January
- 11 & 25 February
- 11 & 25 March
- 8 & 22 April
- 6 & 20 May
- 3 & 17 June
- 1, 15 & 29 July
- 12 & 26 August
- 9 & 23 September
- 7 & 21 October
- 4 & 18 November
- 2, 16 & 30 December
(This project remains open over the Christmas period)
During the school holidays, activities may differ from the usual schedule. However, your work will be equally engaging and rewarding during this time. The school terms for 2019 are as follows:
- Term 1: 8th January – 11th April
- Term 2: 7th May – 8th August
- Term 3: 10th September – 6th December