→ Prices start from $1524 or £1030 for 2 weeks
Volunteering as a sports coach
Sports is one of the best tools to develop fundamental life skills in children, such as teamwork, commitment, determination, self-belief, understanding and communication!
By joining our project you can put all your passion, ideas and creativity to work by assisting coaches and delivering lessons, workshops and implementing games and sports to students in rural areas of Livingstone, where physical education is not even included in school curriculum!
Overall it was a great experience. I loved meeting and becoming friends with other volunteers who were all different ages and from different countries. Our coordinators were fun and approachable, and you could tell they were passionate about the different projects. Livingstone was awesome because I could ask to be on different projects and they were very flexible and accommodating. The kids in the sports program were so quick at learning and a lot of fun to be around every day. I was able to make up my own activities and was trusted to run sessions with over 40 kids! Highly recommended!
Your Project, Your Purpose
One of the main social issues facing Zambians nowadays is the reduced quality of their education system which is lacking basic facilities, resources, and has to cater for lots of students but with very few teachers. Physical education is also not included in the school ́s curriculum and sports are not a large part of the life of students in Zambia.
This represents a huge issue since participating in sports from a young age has proven invaluable to lead a healthy life, reducing the risk of obesity and increasing cardiovascular fitness as well as improving coordination and balance by developing strong muscles.
But sports are not only a door to leading a healthy life since they offer much more than that by equipping children with life skills they will use throughout their life and that will become pivotal when facing challenges and hardships. Self-determination, perseverance, cooperation, tolerance, a sense of community, effort and hard work are some of the fundamental values and skills sports provide our students and that will go a long way in helping them through life.
Our volunteers are essential on this project since they join us with loads of enthusiasm as well as creative, original and efficient techniques on how to deliver sports and physical education lessons to children to keep them engaged, entertained and make sure they take in the learning.
Besides our main sports focus, we take the time to provide valuable tips, lessons and workshops on nutrition and healthy habits to ensure the children can go on and lead a healthier lifestyle.
There’s no need to have any specific experience to join this program and anyone with a passion and interest in improving the lives of children in rural Livingstone can play a huge role!
You will be supported at all times by our team on the ground and by professional coaches who will be eager not only to share their wealth of knowledge in sports coaching with you but also to listen to your inputs and ideas on how to make a bigger impact in these kids ́ lives!
In lessons where we sometimes have over 60 students and one coach your support can go a long way, so if interested in taking your passion for sports to the next level, this is certainly the place for you!
A Day In Your Life
You will be working Monday to Friday both in the morning and afternoon in different communities and projects. You will break for lunch and come back to your accommodation for a relaxing time before heading back on project. Evenings and weekends are free for you to explore this amazing tourist destination that has so much to offer to anyone that visits it.
- You will be working at a number of schools providing physical education lessons to students in the mornings, teaching new drills, lessons and games. It’s up to you and your fellow volunteers to design different activities that will keep children entertained and learning the necessary lessons, and that’s why you will have a separate time each week for preparing the following week ́s curriculum. We always encourage our volunteers to think outside the box and try and find attractive games and exercises to also include topics such as health and nutrition!
- It’s not all about sports and PE! Once a week we take our time to deliver a Health Education workshop to our students who are between 10 and 13 years old, and tackle issues such as nutrition, healthy diets, exercise, hygiene, wound dressing, fire prevention and more! Bring your fresh ideas to keep it entertaining!
- Sports coaching is one of the top highlights for our volunteers! We partner with different organizations in the area that deliver sporting lessons to children in the community so you will have the opportunity to coach different sporting teams as well as joining sporting activities in after school clubs. Tag rugby, football, volleyball, basketball and netball are amongst the most popular but we welcome suggestions and there’s certainly room for you to train any specific sport you are familiarized with.
- Fill your weekends with adrenaline activities like bungee jumping and white water rafting. Take advantage of optional trips to wildlife havens like Botswana’s Chobe National Park or visit the amazing Victoria Falls, one of the New 7 Wonders of the World from both sides of the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. If that’s not enough you can enjoy them from a microlight flight or take a swim in Devil’s Pool (seasonal).
Our Start Dates for 2019 are:
- 7 & 21 October
- 4 & 18 November
- 2,16 & 30 December
Our Start Dates for 2020 are:
- 6, 13 & 27 January
- 10 & 24 February
- 9 & 23 March
- 6 & 20 April
- 4 & 18 May
- 1, 15 & 29 June
- 6, 13, 20 & 27 July
- 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 August
- 7 & 21 September
- 5 & 19 October
- 2, 16 & 30 November
- 14 & 28 December
This project starts every Monday throughout the year. We ask volunteers to arrive at Livingstone Airport on Monday your project starts and we’ll pick you up from there.
You can volunteer from 10 days up to 12 weeks. Project ́s last day is on Monday when we’ll drop you back at the airport.
(This project remains open over the Christmas period)