Teaching & Community Empowerment
→ Prices start from $1427 or £965 for 2 weeks
Volunteering in Education
Enjoy this unique opportunity to discover the fascinating Maasai Culture of Tanzania while spending time in a rural village in the foothills of the iconic Mount Kilimanjaro, while helping empower the community as a whole and combat poverty in the region through education, support, mentoring and assistance
I had the most amazing time volunteering in Moshi. I spent my mornings teaching intermediate English at Maasai Town. Through my four weeks, I was able to spend afternoons at Wazee, computer class, and a visit to the School of the Deaf. The entire staff was incredible and all so hard working and inspiring. Every student worked very hard and was respectful and expressed gratitude towards the volunteers. I loved living in a volunteer house. I felt very safe the entire time both in the house, at the project, and exploring Moshi Town. It was the perfect balance of volunteering and exploring the country. I spent a weekend in Zanzibar, doing the day hike of Kilimanjaro, a safari, and had time to relax and enjoy Moshi locally. I was blown away by the fun yet hard-working atmosphere that this program has found. I encourage anyone with an interest to take the leap and come volunteer.
Moshi is a rural community in Tanzania located at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro (Africa’s highest peak) and close to some of the most iconic and famous National Parks and Safari Destinations so popular for western tourists such as Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti National Park, Lake Manyara and Tarangire.
But despite being located in such an iconic and tourist destination, this rural community, as many others in the country, is constantly suffering from poor education rates, malnutrition, food poverty and unemployment. Tourism creates a lot of job opportunities in the area but most adults do not have the level of English needed to get jobs in this sector and are left with very little job options.
Through this project, we´ve decided to work with these rural communities as a whole to better their education and, as a result, improve access to opportunities that will better their quality of life. By empowering individuals of all ages, from nursery school children to adults, you’ll help strengthen the community and take a step towards overcoming poverty.
We began free community classes that give adults the opportunity to learn the English language and this project has been so successful that some of our students who have graduated the entire curriculum are now teaching their peers!
Our projects take a holistic approach to education. With strong relationships as the foundation point of all we do, all our projects are designed to address the key needs the community themselves have identified. We work with all demographics within the community, from teenagers and adults to single mothers, widows and people with disabilities.
A Day In Your Life
You will be working Monday to Friday both in the morning and afternoon in different communities and projects. You will break for lunch and come back to your accommodation for a relaxing time before heading back on the project.
Evenings and weekends are free for you to explore this amazing tourist destination that has so much to offer to anyone who visits it.
- Join a sustainable and impactful project on the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro that is looking to uplift a whole community by working side by side with all of its members, from children to youth, adults and elders!
- Enjoy a true cultural exchange experience while spending time living on the lands of the iconic Maasai Tribe and learn from their culture and traditions.
- While working alongside a local Tanzanian teacher and learning from her, you will have the chance to assist and help deliver English lessons in a rural preschool. Your support will give children a positive head-start to their learning, in an environment where children can often fall behind due to overcrowded classrooms and limited resources. With the support of our team on the ground and your fellow volunteers, you will also be in charge of developing lesson plans and lead creative activities such as singing, playing games and more.
- You will have the chance to provide literacy lessons for the Maasai adults in the area so the help them gain skills in the English and Swahili Language that will help them land a job in the tourism sector. We provide lessons for beginners, intermediate and advanced students and the support from our volunteers is key to making this project succeed. Don’t worry about not being fluent in Swahili since we’ll teach you the basics and you can still provide a lot of assistance through your knowledge on the English language.
- You may also have the chance to work alongside our local sign language teacher at a School for the Deaf, facilitating a life skills program for students with hearing impairments.
- You will also spend some time with the older members of the community on our Elderly People’s Program hosting creative activities, sharing stories, playing games and enjoying a chat with the people who live in the elderly home, improving their mental and physical health and adding joy to their lives.
- Spend your free time enjoying one of the world’s most renowned safari destinations, surrounded by Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Tarangire and Mound Kilimanjaro! There’s a lot to do and explore and we´ll help you organize it!
Our Start Dates for 2019 are:
- 7 & 21 October
- 4 & 18 November
- 2,16 & 30 December
Our Start Dates for 2020 are:
- 6, 13 & 27 January
- 10 & 24 February
- 9 & 23 March
- 6 & 20 April
- 4 & 18 May
- 1, 15 & 29 June
- 6, 13, 20 & 27 July
- 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 August
- 7 & 21 September
- 5 & 19 October
- 2, 16 & 30 November
- 14 & 28 December
Project Closes 16th December 2019
During school holidays, activities may differ from the usual schedule but the work will be equally engaging and rewarding.
We ask volunteers to arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport on Monday your project starts and we’ll pick you up from there. You can volunteer from 10 days up to 12 weeks. Project ́s last day is on Monday when we’ll drop you back at the airport.