Sea Turtle Conservation
Pacific Coast, Guatemala
Project Currently Closed
→ Prices start from US$915.00 for 2 weeks
Volunteer towards sea turtles ́ conservation
Sea turtles have been living and thriving in the world’s oceans for more than 150 million years, but unfortunately today they are in danger of extinction due to many different reasons.
That is why this project exists and why our volunteers play a huge role in the survival of this iconic species! Volunteers’ primary focus is to increase the birth rate and survival of baby sea turtles, while also collecting data and educating the local community about sea turtles and the importance of Guatemala ́s marine ecosystem.
Had such an amazing experience working with the turtles and learning about the community and what they do. Getting to engage with the community was awesome. It was a fantastic experience to enjoy.
Pacific Coast Volunteering
Guatemala is a really biodiverse and green country but unfortunately, 6 of 7 species of sea turtles are in danger of extinction due to poaching, the destruction of their natural habitat, and the effects of commercial fishing.
Each and every one of these species affects the diversity, habitat and functionality of its environment in a unique way and play a vital role in maintaining the health of our oceans.
And this is exactly why we can’t́ let another species go extinct and why our volunteers play a vital role in protecting adult and baby sea turtles. With the professional support from our environmentalists and researchers, you will get involved with hatchery management, beach patrols, beach cleanups, data collection, community outreach and much more!
This project takes place in rural beach areas often alongside impoverished communities where our volunteers provide vital support to the biologists, biology interns, project staff, and locals involved in protecting turtle eggs and maintaining the turtle nesting grounds.
Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity of playing a huge role in the survival of this stunning species while spending your time in one of Earth’s most paradisiac spots! You will learn about the local ecosystem, long-term sustainability, and animal rights!
A Day In Your Life
Working hours vary according to the needs of the project, but you can expect to work 6-8 hours per day, Monday to Saturday. You may work morning, afternoon or evening shifts depending on the need, so get ready for the some late nights and morning shifts.
- You will be living in a paradisiac beach surrounded by nature in one of the most bio-diverse countries in the world that offers an incredible amount of activities for you to enjoy during your free time. So take in the views and have an amazing experience!
- You will get the chance to collect valuable data on sea turtles and educate the local community about them and the whole marine ecosystem
- You will be supported by environmentalists, biologists, and other local professionals who will be eager to share their wealth of knowledge with you and ensure you leave this project with a new set of skills and information!
- There are loads of activities you may be involved in and you’ll have the chance to experience a lot during your stay! You may take part in nightly beach patrols, tagging turtles, releasing hatched baby turtles, constructing hatcheries, beach cleanup efforts, and other support activities such as community education programs. Volunteering in this project involves quite a lot of walking through the amazing beaches while going on patrols looking for turtles so it can be a bit physically demanding and you should have a certain level of fitness so to be able to walk on a daily basis for a couple of hours.
- You will help reverse the risk of extinction of sea turtles by taking an active role in protecting both adult and baby sea turtles.
This project starts every Monday throughout the year. We generally ask for volunteers to arrive at this project the day before on Sunday and you can volunteer from 2 weeks up to 12 weeks. Projects last day is on Saturday.
(This project remains open over the Christmas period)
3 weeks – US$1,115.00
4 weeks- US$1,295.00