Construction & Rehabilitation Project
→ Prices start from $1005 or £882 for 2 weeks
Volunteering in construction
Antigua can be considered one of Guatemala’s most beautiful cities and one of the top-visited location in Central America given its history, culture, architecture and stunning views. But unfortunately and despite the benefits that tourism brings to the city you can still see many of the locals suffering from a lack of education and healthcare access. There are lots of communities in need of funding and assistance in the area and that’s why we’ve started this project so to make a real difference in people’s lives.
By joining our construction project you will be involved in a real hands-on meaningful programme in which you can actually see and touch the significant impact you are making towards community development!
Our volunteers play a huge role in improving community life by building and renovating community centers, schools, clinics, and assisted living facilities. Don’t miss out on this opportunity of making a real, lasting and measurable impact on people’s lives!
The construction program in Antigua, Guatemala was life-changing. I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing the culture through living in a dorm-style home run by locals, working on building a meaningful extension, and spending time with other volunteers. This experience has truly been eye-opening. The most enjoyable part of this trip was learning about and conversing with Freddy and Roberto. They are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, and they are the most humble.
Guatemala is an amazingly beautiful country that offers something unique for everyone, from lush forests, over 30 volcanoes, historical monuments and ancient Mayan Ruins.
Nevertheless, the country still faces many issues such as an incredibly high poverty rate. It’s believed that 60 % of the population lives under the poverty line and 23 % face extreme poverty. The inequality gap between rich and poor in the country is incredibly huge, where 260 Guatemalans own 56 per cent of the national economy, which means that 0.001 per cent of the population owns more than half of the country’s wealth! Some of the main social issues in the country also include a huge unemployment rate, unequal access to healthcare and education, a lack of housing and overcrowded schools and hospitals.
By joining this project our volunteers truly focus on community development and making a difference in people’s lives. In order to solve these issues we join communities in need and work side by side with them on public buildings or schools in need of refurbishment, renovation or even new developments to further aid the locals.
Volunteers participate in lots of fundamental tasks such as renovation work (painting and plastering), small repairs on walls and roofs, laying tiles or other floorings, mixing cement, masonry, carpentry, welding, and/or plumbing.
There’s no need for previous experience as long as you come with a positive attitude and a true desire to make an impact and help communities in need.
You can change the life of a community and make a real tangible difference after just a few weeks in Antigua.
A Day In Your Life
Working hours vary according to the needs of the project, but you can expect to work 3-4 hours per day, Monday to Friday.
Your working hours will either be in the morning or in the afternoon depending on the current construction project and if interested we can add and schedule native Spanish classes during your off-hours.
Just ask and we’ll help you organize them!
- You will have the amazing opportunity of actually seeing the results of your project and how it makes a difference in people’s lives!
- During your construction project, you will work with your hands and learn basic construction techniques and make a real impact at projects for people who truly need and appreciate your efforts.
- Focus on true community development! Whether it ́s building or repairing homes, adding classrooms to schools, or making structural improvements to clinics you will be going MAD with our project!
- Your work will be physically demanding and may include digging, removing dirt, mixing cement, carrying bricks, preparing adobe, painting, plastering, helping in beautification or renovation work, and various other activities as needed at the work site
- Make the most of your time in Guatemala and take on additional Spanish lessons so to go back home with a new language on your CV! Ask about additional costs for the lessons!
- Enjoy your free time in this UNESCO World Heritage Site and enjoy the multiple arrays of activities that can be done in an around the city. Historical monuments, colourful markets, Mayan ruins, coffee farms, active volcanoes, hiking trails, and local festivities are waiting for you! You can even travel further and enjoy the beautiful Pacific Coastline and beaches, Lake Atitlan and Tikal Archaeological Site.
This project starts every Monday throughout the year. We generally ask for volunteers to arrive at this project the day before on Sunday and you can volunteer from 2 weeks up to 12 weeks. Projects last day is on Saturday.
(This project remains open over the Christmas period)