Construction & Community Development
San Jose, Costa Rica
→ Prices start from US$1035.00 for 2 weeks
Volunteering in construction
San Jose, Costa Rica’s capital and largest city, stands out in Latin America for its high quality of life and it is considered one of the safest cities in the region! Nevertheless, in the area surrounding San Jose, there is a multitude of communities in need of assistance and funding.
By joining our construction project you will be involved in a real hands-on meaningful programme in which you can actually see and touch the significant impact you are making towards community development! Our volunteers play a huge role in improving community life by building and renovating community centres, schools, clinics, and assisted living facilities.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity of making a real, lasting and measurable impact on people’s lives!
My parents wanted me to travel and I do not think I could have found a better program or trip. This is a great organization with amazing people. I had helped the whole time I was here during all community activities but remained independent and outgoing. I met amazing people that I will never forget and I hope to see them in the future.
San Jose Volunteering
Costa Rica is not only the most visited country in Central America (especially by American tourists) but has become a role model in the region for its development, safety, democratic institutions and environmental policies.
Nevertheless, the country still faces many issues such as poverty, unequal opportunities between the cities and the countryside and lack of education. Increasingly people from the countryside and neighbouring countries are moving to the main cities such as San Jose in search of a better life and opportunities. But this migration has also caused issues such as increased poverty rates, lack of housing and overcrowded schools and hospitals.
By joining this project our volunteers truly focus on community development and making a difference in people’s lives. In order to solve these issues we join communities in need and work side by side with them on public buildings or schools in need of refurbishment, renovation or even new developments to further aid the locals.
Volunteers participate in lots of fundamental tasks such as renovation work (painting and plastering), small repairs on walls and roofs, laying tiles or flooring, mixing cement, masonry, carpentry, welding, and/or plumbing.
There’s no need for previous experience as long as you come with a positive attitude and a true desire to make an impact and help communities in need.
You can change the life of a community and make a real tangible difference after just a few weeks in San Jose.
A Day In Your Life
Working hours vary according to the needs of the project, but you can expect to work 3-4 hours per day, Monday to Friday.
Your working hours will either be in the morning or in the afternoon depending on the current construction project and if interested we can add and schedule native Spanish classes during your off-hours. Just ask and we’ll help you organize them!
- You will have the amazing opportunity of actually seeing the results of your project and how it makes a difference in people’s lives!
- You will learn about both traditional and more modern building methods, working with adobe, plaster, and bamboo or cement block, drywall, and aluminium, under the guidance of our professional local foremen.
- Focus on true community development! Whether it ́s building or repairing homes, adding classrooms to schools, or making structural improvements to clinics you will be going MAD with our project!
- Your work will be physically demanding and may include digging, removing dirt, mixing cement, carrying bricks, preparing adobe, painting, plastering, helping in beautification or renovation work, and various other activities as needed at the worksite.
- Make the most of your time in Costa Rica and take on additional Spanish lessons so to go back home with a new language on your CV! Ask about additional costs for the lessons!
- Enjoy your free time in this cosmopolitan city that caters for every kind of tourist and don’t miss out on the opportunity of travelling further and enjoy this beautiful country that offers rainforests, mountains, volcanoes and beautiful beaches!
This project starts every Monday throughout the year. We generally ask for volunteers to arrive at this project the day before on Sunday and you can volunteer from 2 weeks up to 12 weeks. Projects last day is on Saturday.
(This project remains open over the Christmas period)
2 weeks – US$1,035.00
3 weeks – US$1,315.00
4 weeks – US$1565.00
Additional week US$185
Project surcharge US$85/week